Points to remember
- Not all quality journals have a published impact factor;
- Impact factors do not assess the quality of individual articles - controversial or discredited articles can be highly cited thus skewing the impact factor;
- Few articles are highly cited and they are published in a select group of journals;
- Newer journals will not have an impact factor and may be easier to publish in if you are an early career researcher;
- Changes in journal title and/or format will affect their potential impact factor;
- Non-English language articles are cited less often than English language articles.
For assistance contact the Research Services Librarian