Locating International Theses
Abstracts of international theses can be located using a variety of resources. Search each resource by keyword, consulting help menus for search tips. Conduct a catalogue search to ascertain if the Library holds the thesis. If you are a staff member or postgraduate student you may place a document delivery request for theses not held, although they may be difficult to obtain.
- Scopus contains full text links to Australian and international theses. Conduct a search then click into the Web tab and limit to Theses.
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses contains previews of interdisciplinary theses.
- PsycINFO contains abstracts of theses on psychology and related subjects. When conducting a general search, limit the search to "dissertations" under "Publication Type" or conduct a keyword search and select "dissertation abstracts" from the results list.
- ERIC contains abstracts and full text theses on education and related subjects. When conducting a general search, limit the search to "dissertations" under "Publication Type".
- Communication Abstracts is a portal for a suite of databases which contain abstracts and full text theses on communication, criminology, education, language, psychology and sociology. Conduct a keyword search. From the "Publication Type" option, click on "More" then click into "Dissertations".
- Libraries Australia lists interdisciplinary theses held by participating Australian libraries. For a comprehensive search of international theses click into "Select databases" from the "Searching in" option. Tick the databases you want to search simultaneously. Options include the British Library Catalogue, Consortium of [British] University Research Libraries, OCLC WorldCat (contains more than 47 million records contributed by libraries around the world), and the Library of Congress Catalog. Limit your search to "Theses" and enter keywords.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations is an international organisation providing free electronic access to theses from participating universities.
- Registry of Open Access Repositories lists international institutional repositories containing electronic theses. Perform a subject search to locate abstracts and full text theses within your area of interest.
- OAIster is a union catalogue of difficult to find digital resources including theses.
- Index to Theses is a comprehensive listing of theses with abstracts from universities in Great Britain and Ireland since 1716.
For assistance contact your School Librarian
or the Research Services Librarian